Thursday, November 7, 2019

Semester at Sea Embarkation



Hello All!

I am going to tell you a little bit about my planning for Semester at Sea before and during embarkation. For all of you who do not know what Semester at Sea is a multi-country study abroad program on a ship that is open to all students of all majors. The program emphasizes on global comparative study and ocean awareness.

I was lucky enough to attend the Fall 2019 Voyage.. the 126th voyage of the program!


In this blog I just wanted to share a few tips that I wish I knew before hand:

  •  Apply EARLY to the program because you do not want to be rushed or miss anything during the enrollment process. Unfortunately I applied late to the program and missed the scholarship deadline which I was pretty bummed about so try to keep track of deadlines!
  • PACKING! Pack light because you will buy many things along the voyage. I will leave a drop down of things that I packed that weren't on the list that came in handy!
    • snacks (lots of them)
    • blanket
    • map (for people to sign after the voyage)
    • shoe rack or clothes organizer (the closets on the ship are small)
    • small gifts to give children you meet on the way / people you meet 
    • books (no internet so lots of free time to yourself) 
  • Don't plan or book flights for countries prior to getting on the ship because you will meet tons of people and change your plans as you go  
I embarked from San Diego and had my parents come with me to drop me off. This is probably one of the weirdest feelings you will experience. I felt very uncomfortable and almost as if I was starting a whole new year at school. I had so many emotions leaving my parents and stepping aboard the ship. I was solo excited at one point and then got scared and nervous. Everything seemed to be hitting me at once but then once I calmed down I realized that everyone was in the same position as I was. The people around me were incredibly kind and wanted to get to know you. I was nervous about making friends for a while but it is so easy to bond with people quickly.  Don't be scared to be yourself because you will meet some of the most incredible people on this journey!

If you have any more questions prior to embarkation let me know below!






No comments:

Post a Comment