Monday, December 10, 2018

Taxi Driver Story Time



While study abroad leaves you with a strengthened resume, amazing stories to tell your friends, and a poppin’ Instagram profile, my favorite part of my summer in Amman, Jordan was the incredible people I met. My host family felt like real family by the end of my stay, the other students in my class will be my lifelong friends, and internship supervisor became one of my greatest role models. However, one of my favorite impressions that was made on me was by a conversation I had with one of my taxi drivers.

On the way to my internship one morning, my taxi driver mentioned to me that he was of Palestinian origin. As an International Relations student, who has studied the Palestinian-Israeli crisis for years, I was extremely interested in what this man had to say about the crisis. Research and class lectures can not compare to being able to hear a point of view from someone who has actually experienced the hardships caused by the tragedy.

He knew that I was American, and the US has played a negative role in the crisis (in my opinion), he in no way had any sort of hostile attitude towards me. He even wanted me to come to his house to meet his family and teach his daughters English. At the end of the ride, he offered me some of the cake he was eating.

I will always remember this experience because it demonstrated to me that the people who have faced extreme adversity in life always have the most kindness to give. It also reminded me of lack of open-mindedness I sometimes feel in America. He never judged me for being an American or seemed to have any bias against me, which might not be the same case had the roles been reversed, and he was Palestinian student in an American taxi.

No comments:

Post a Comment