Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Holidays Abroad in South Korea

How was your thanksgiving this year?

I wanted to tell you some of the holiday plans I made this year. Last year, I went
to Seoul Fireworks Festival, bungee jumping, Jinju Lantern Festival, and
sightseeing in Gyeongju [Read more about it in my very first blog post here]. This
year was time to experience the traditions in a Korean Family's home. Before we
continue, check out the amazing view of me hiking in Korea for the first time!


Korean Thanksgiving (Chuseok - 추석) Tradition
This year chuseok is about 5 days compared to 10 days last year. Fortunately, my
Korean friend invited me over to his home to experience “REAL” Korean
Thanksgiving tradition. I took a train to Ansan about 1.5 hours away from my dormitory.
I prepared some gifts as it is customary to show your appreciation when you are invited
to someone’s home. I had Hawaiian coffee and some Filipino mochi I bought at a nearby
market. When I arrived, I was surprised to meet the my friends family and relatives. I met
his parents last year before Christmas, but it was first to see his dad side. His cousins
had some good English and I enjoyed eating with them and we sang at a noraebang
(Karaoke room) after.

When I woke up, there was a strong aroma of food being cooked and prepared. The
family and relatives were setting up the table and the men were dressed in tuxedos. But the
women and the younger girls were just on the side watching. The men take turns
honoring the ancestors by pouring drinks and serving rice to specific ancestors.
Then at each turn, everyone, including myself, bowed down to the ground twice.
Each food and drink placement is important on the table on this ancestral right - 차례.
















Also, the mother of the household insisted I take a lot of pictures and videos since
it is my first Korean Thanksgiving, so it was fine to document this experience.
However, I was wearing only a polo shirt and pants and wished I brought a
more formal outfit.

After honoring the ancestors, they cleaned up the area and separated the tables in
the living room. Everyone sat down together and we ate the food we prayed over. We
got to enjoy some soups, fruits, vegetables, fish, and other entrees. Not many
Korean families celebrate this holiday tradition with the formal ancestral rights. In this
picture there is a rice wine (백세주) in a silver cup that is said when you drink it you
will live for a 100 years.


Family Outing

After the ceremony, they allowed me to nap because I was exhausted from the
school’s midterm exams coming up. They took me to a popular shrimp place
where they cooked it fresh and serve it fried as well. Then you can get a
knife cut noodles with seafood. All foods that I had from their house to nearby
cities was amazing.


Finally we ended the trip with going to the nearby sea. This place had a nice
boardwalk where you get to see the ocean and the landscape. They also got
some snacks to feed the sea birds, which was a interesting experience but
you should not always do this hahaha. I am very thankful for their hospitality.  
A few days later I went off to Jeju, so checkout my next blog post!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment