Friday, December 7, 2018

10 pieces of advice for studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain




1.     Do not pay for a phone plan in the states!! You can buy a sim card from a phone company in Barcelona that will allow you to have 10 gigabits of data for one month.  For every 10 gigabits of data it was 20$. Overall I ended up spending 40$ compared to some of my friends who payed around 400$ to be able to use their phones abroad. Look into the best options before you leave!

2.     Don’t waste days! There were too many times I came home to my apartment and my roommates had been inside all day watching Netflix. I always thought it was crazy. Take advantage of everyday because it’s over before you know it and you do not want to look back and wish you had explored more.

3.     Theft isn’t just a rumor. Many people in my program had their wallets and phones stolen, some even twice. In my experience as long as you’re paying attention and aware of your surroundings theft won’t be a problem. I personally never had a problem with theft. Make sure to always keep your phone in your purse. NEVER put it in your back pocket or sitting on a table. This is the easiest ways people will grab your phones and run off. Before coming to Barcelona I would suggest buying a purse that zips or closes tightly and does not have easy access for people to slide their hands in. When going on the metro hold your backpack or purse in front of you.

4.     Be open to new experiences and get out of your comfort zone. Do things you wouldn’t normally do. You won’t regret it. J

5.     When you first take the metro you will have to make the choice to buy a 10 rides metro pass or the month pass. Buy the month pass! You will be riding the metro a lot. I took the metro everywhere I went whether it was to my friend’s apartment, the beach,  school, shopping, or site seeing.

6.     Have a travel journal! You are going to want to remember everything you did each day and the experiences you had. I ended up writing a brief description of each day in my notes on my phone but I wish I had brought a journal and written everything out.  

7.     Try to speak Spanish as much as possible. A lot of people in Barcelona do know English so you might think it’s just easier  than trying to speak Spanish but speaking it throughout the day will help you improve the language and you will also gain more respect from locals.

8.     Don’t be afraid to ask your program leaders and teachers for advice. Some of the best places and restaurants I went to around Barcelona were places I learned about from them.
9.     GO ON THE EXCURSIONS. The excursions I went on were some of the best experiences I had. We traveled outside inside and outside of Barcelona and saw beautiful architecture, art work, views, beaches, and cities.

10.  And finally…..EAT LOTS OF GELATO J

No comments:

Post a Comment