Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Taking some time to think

As I enter my last few weeks in Costa Rica, I cannot help, but to think of how much I have grown and all of the obstacles I have overcome. Walking into someone else's home without knowing what to expect can be frustrating. The language barrier was only one of many things. There was no hot water and I had a hard time adjusting to not being able to put toilet tissue in the toilet and not being able to eat what I want when I want. Being that my diet was so strict and I was unable to say what I could and could not I have I spent my first week vomiting, but it got a lot better. After 3 weeks I was able to say much more and did not fear having conversations in Spanish. I was forced to speak Spanish because my roommate had to leave after a week and I was alone. Being in the house without someone who understands English was one of the best things ever because I had no choice but to learn. I was also able to embrace the culture more because I was unable to complain about what I did not have. Having a maid was the one thing I hated because it spoils me rotten and I want to do things on my own, but after learning about how little people make here I found that it was well needed and took a load off of my shoulders. I still have not gotten accustomed to someone else washing my clothes, but it is nice.
Another issue I found myself having (still happens) is not knowing when to speak Spanish or English. There are days when I am able to speak Spanish with no problems and days when I cannot remember it. There are days when I mix my English and Spanish and when I am unable to remember how to say words in English. Spelling is worse. Many times I find myself typing in Spanish when I am supposed to be speaking in English. I have fallen in love with the language and culture here and will forever remember the oppiortunities I have been awarded, but most of all I will miss the children in the orphanage (where I volunteer).

No comments:

Post a Comment