Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Difference in the Classroom

It's one thing to be living in another country, but actually going to school and even working is different as well. I think it maybe customary in every country but the U.S, but here at JCU, students are graded literally on "assessments." Being that I have only four classes, I only have 4 assessments. So the rest of the semester where you are not being necessarily graded on anything, you just attend class and learn. However this does mean final exams are cumulative which for me isn't all that bad. There is more focus on understanding rather than having persistent tests all of the time. I do have to say though, being so used to always turning in homework and taking tests has in a way prepared me for what to expect here at JCU.

This kinda makes it seem that we have all the time in the world to do whatever we want. This is not exactly true haha! We all wish though! It all comes down to student balancing and managing their time wisely. I guess my friends back home would say I'm a pro at that. I sometimes finish assignments much earlier that they are due which allows me to enjoy all Australia has to offer. As you may or may not know, I'm luckily to be studying here at JCU with my brother. Our "hang out," so to say, is on the stunning Magnetic Island, or "Maggie" Island as the locals call it.

There is so much to do on Maggie island that multiple trips are required to see everything! Luckily its not expensive to take the ferry so its really simple to do so. I recently put up a picture of me holding a Koala. That picture was taken at the awesome Bungalow Bay Koala Sanctuary. They have much more to offer too! 



No comments:

Post a Comment