Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Winning at Life




Russell Matsumura


            This is more of a personal entry for me.  Towards the end of our time in Japan, we came across the area of malls that had a giant Gundam on display.  One of my favorite anime to watch when I was in my early teens was Gundam Wing and its movie Endless Waltz.  I’d spend time building models from the series and dreaming about piloting one of these robots in battle against over-whelming odds to accomplish a noble mission to save whatever I was trying to save.  So, when I found out that we were in the area where they had one on display, my inner child came to live as I swiftly made my way to see the statue.  Even though it wasn’t one of “my” Gundam’s, to see one on display and the amount of people surrounding the attraction is something I will never forget.  To see what was considered during my childhood as stupid nerd stuff become some of the most popular topics of entertainment, such as Star Wars and super hero movies, makes me feel like putting up with all of the bullying was worth it because in the end, I am the victor over my tormentors as they jump on the band wagon to see these films and purchase the merchandise.  Growing up ain’t so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment