Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Cooking With My Host Family


Lauren Nosworthy

This is a picture of my host mom, Miho, and the delicious Strawberry Daifuku Dolls we made together. Staying with a host family was my favorite experience of the Japan trip. I loved getting the opportunity to stay with a Japanese family for a night and day, to get a small, but true taste of the Japanese culture. My host family consisted of a husband, wife, and their two daughters. They were such a cute and sweet little family, who welcomed me and the three other HPU students, into their home with open arms and yummy food. The morning after we stayed a night in their home, we spent time together cooking breakfast and making this Strawberry Daifuku doll. This experience really meant a lot to me because growing up with a single mom who was always working, to provide for my two younger sisters and I, we didn’t get much “quality’” time with our mom. So being able to sit in the kitchen, talking story, cooking, laughing, and just spending time with our host mom meant the world to me. I always wished I could have had more “fun times” with my mom, especially through my childhood, but I had to come and learn my mom had to provide for us on her own, so work was always a priority. Therefore, I genuinely treasured this time spent with Miho, because I know she didn’t have to spend that time cooking and laughing with us HPU students, but she chose to and I am so grateful she did. In addition to the wonderful quality time, the little snack we made was DELICIOUS, or Oishi! as Miho would say.

Photo Credit : Lauren Nosworthy, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment