Friday, May 9, 2014

Reef HQ





At some point during our adventure down under, my brother (Leland Williams) and I intend on taking trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Since the famous reef is only a few miles off the coast of Townsville, we are totally excite to go. However before we do so, wanted to be sure which was safe and which was dangerous about the reef. Lucky for us Townsville hosts an aquarium sanctuary known as the "Reef HQ." Reef HQ is the largest living reef aquarium in the world perhap the best place to gain knowledge concerning the Great Barrier Reef.

Reef HQ is not like the typical aquarium you can find anywhere. This specific aquarium caters only to the wild life which live inside of the Great Barrier Reef itself (i.e. clown fish, moray eels, and other exotic sea creatures). We also got to witness the feeding hour which they had, though it was main for the children, but it was still interesting to watch.

While touring the HQ my brother an myself were introduced to several categories of sea turtles. Being from a place like Hawaii where all you ever here about are the sea turtles, both my brother and I had an already vast wealth of knowledge concerning a few of the turtles which they had in the exhibit, such as the Green Turtle. Going to the Reef HQ was a smart idea for my brother and I, especially for me since I'm more of the History and political science type of person than I am the marine science type like my brother is. Because I live in Hawaii I already knew the dangers and threats that coral reef must endure by tourist and other careless groups of individuals. However unlike Hanuama Bay, a relatively small coral reef site. the Great Barrier Reef is far larger, and there are talks of eliminating large chinks of it to make way for commercial ships.

I cant wait to go to the Great Barrier Reef, because not only will be an amazing adventure, but also so I can learn about it and get the experience of a life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment