Saturday, December 28, 2019

Preparing for Soonchunhyang University

Soonchunhyang University

So you want to go to South Korea and of all the schools you choose to go to Soonchunhyang University, well there are a handful of things that you need to know before getting there to start your semester adventures.

Arriving in the Country

I didn't have to worry about getting from the airport to the school because I had my own form of transportation.... family.  I was also there several days before I needed to even be there.  I did though get information about the experience from the people I made friends with during the semester.  
Everyone was told to meet up at the A gate, but depending on when your flight arrives, it could be a very long wait.  Incheon has a baggage holder that you could use to store your luggage.  Incheon International Airport also has things to do such as a museum and even a movie theater.  Personally, I would have just gone and seem multiple movies.  When meting up with others, be ready to wait a while, but use this to your advantage.  Make friends with the people around you, they will be everywhere with you for the next 4 months.  

Campus

GV - Global Villiage
One of the study lounges in GV
When you arrive at Soonchunhyang University, they will immediately be taking you right up to Global Village.  This will be the dorms you are staying in for the next 4+ months.  They are not the greatest dorms in the world, but they are functional.  In all honesty that was enough for even me.  The suites are set with 6 rooms and 2 bathrooms.  There are going to be a total of 12 people in a suite and 2 people per room.  The rooms were small, but the living spaces was functional.  It sounds like a lot and most people did not like the idea at first.  Even I was very skeptical, but it turned out to be great and a lot of fun.  About half way though the semester I learned my room was not functional to like in anymore.  The heater was not working and I spend more time freezing than actually enjoying my quite space.  The head RA ended up moving me and my roommate to another room.
My second room of the semester
As a warning though, PLEASE CLEAN EVERYTHING BEFORE USING!!!  I was the first to arrive in my suite and it was disgusting.  The bathrooms were gross and I didn't feel comfortable until I cleaned everything.  Don't just wait for others to arrive.  Go do it already.
There are also things that you will need to buy before the semester starts.  Toilet paper and cleaning supplies is a must.  There are also smaller things that you may want.  Items like hangers, hairdryers, and even metal wall hooks.  There is a store right at the bottom of the hill is where you can get food and all the house hold supplies.
There is also a Daiso down the street where you can get everything very cheap.  This is the best place to get small makeup products, school supplies and anything else you might want.  In the first week of being at Soonchunhyang I am positive I was there everyday.  Love that store.  

Death Stairs #1
 Also, on the way to the dorms on the bus, you will notice driving up a pretty decent sized hill.  Four words, GET USE TO IT!  The campus is built on a mountain and there are a lot of hills and stairs.  I am not joking..... who needs a workout routine when you have to walk up and down the hills and stairs all the time.  The stairs are absolutely everywhere and they are huge!  I'm surprised I never fell down them.  Thank goodness it didn't snow or ice over while I was there or else I might have slipped.  

Now, based on what I just said about falling, do yourself a favor and just purchase the medical coverage from the school.  It is only $50 at the beginning of the semester.  I didn't do that and kept mine from home and it turned out to be a very bad situation for me.  Only when I wasn't prepared, I was getting hurt.  I had multiple injuries while I was here from falling off a skateboard to spraining my foot in taekwondo right before finals.  That was the worst one, I am still recovering from my sprain as I write this blog.  So do yourself a favor and just buy it.  It will save a lot of time later on if needed...... please trust me on this.

University Festival

Start of the night
End of the night
Every September and May is university festival season.  This is called 대동제 (Daedongjae).  It is a 3 day event that has a concert every night.  I think this was the most fun event that the whole school actually attended.  The crowds were amazing, I don't think I have ever seen that many students at an HPU event ever.  It was cool to see all the Korean students with all their different Major jackets.  I even have a major jacket now and it is my favorite thing that I got from Soonchunhyang University.  At the festival there are games and singing competitions.  They were fun to watch and I could have joined in, but let's be honest...... I'm a wuss.  I couldn't do that even if I wanted too.  I went to day one and we got to see BOL4 as the concert.  It was super exciting.  Day 2 I did not go to because I had homework.  Everyone wanted to go to day 3 because Zico was going to be there, but the whole event was cancelled due to rain.  Everyone was devastated.  The joke for the rest of the semester was "R.I.P. ZICO".

Coffee Hour

Coffee Hours are one of the mandatory events that you have to go to, but they are fun and entertaining.  Plus they give you free food.  Don't think of them as the end of the world.  It is a great excuse to go hang out with people and make friends.  There are 2 throughout the semester.  They are fun, trust me.

Global Day


HAWAII BOOTH
I made the frame with the help of my group; Nelly and Nami(UH)
Global day was another event we had.  It is where we all choose to represent out country or state.  There were stands for Mongolia, China, Uzbekistan, California and Canada.  There were many more, but that would be a long list.  I ran the Hawaii booth with the help of my team members Nami (left, UH Manoa) and Nelly (center, University of Texas).  We played games and even made food that represented where we were from.  For Hawaii, we made musubi. We also had a photo booth where everyone could take photos and it was fun.  Making the frame was the hardest thing.  It took 12 hours to make.... probably should have made it more in advance, but who has time for that.  Personally, I think that Hawaii had the best booth.  

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very good and very helpful too. I have learned a lot from your blog about student.
    Due to your blog, people will be very helpful in missing Melbourne and getting to know him.
    I read your blog and it is really good. Thank you for sharing this information with us.
    student accommodation urbenest melbourne central

    ReplyDelete