Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Must See Art In Madrid

 Must See Art In Madrid


There's nothing I love more than strolling around an art gallery by myself with no rush. It puts me in a creative mindset where I feel endlessly inspired for my next projects. As an arts and markets major I was so excited to see the new world of paintings available to view in Spain. With Madrid as the capital I was in the perfect place to see some amazing Spanish art. Below is a list of my favorite museums and a must see list for an art lover like myself. 


  1. Museo Del Prado: This one is a no-brainer and I visited about 10 times throughout my semester abroad and would still like to go back. It's a huge museum, home to some of the most famous Spanish artists like Goya, Velazquez, El Greco, and more. They have walls with huge masterpieces that will truly blow your mind. I recommend visiting in the morning, as the later the day gets the more busy it typically is. No food or drinks are allowed. As a student you can enter for free (which I clearly took advantage of). On one of my visits there I even got to see other art students copying famous works for their own studies. I always bring a notebook to write down any ideas I have or inspirations that hit me. This is one of the most well renowned art museums in the world and in my opinion you could spend an entire day here. 





  1. Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia: This museum was very interesting and had much more modern sections compared to other museums which are mainly historical. This is also home to Picasso's Guernica so of course it is a very important and wonderful museum. They have many other famous artists such as Salvador dali. This museum also has a courtyard in the middle to sit down and relax in between absorbing all of the art which I enjoyed. Definitely a must see art museum and as a student you can enter free of charge. 




  1. Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza: This museum surprised me as I assumed it would be less wowing than the others I’ve visited but Thyssen Museum was truly one of my favorites. Not only do they have more modern artists, they have beautiful priceless early netherlandish paintings. This museum is very big as well and has something for every taste of the artist. They even had a picasso exhibit when I went with the original pieces side by side with the ones that inspired Picasso. I had such an amazing time here and was able to enter for free because of my student transit card. I really encourage looking here to see amazing art from all different kinds of genres and backgrounds. 






I was so thrilled that I chose Spain to study abroad and learned so much more about Spanish art history and culture. It made me so motivated to continue to learn Spanish and other languages to be able to better connect and experience different art from across the world. Going to these art museums pushed me outside my comfort zone to go places alone. I feel that this experience really helped me to dedicate more of myself to art and get a better understanding of the art world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment