Monday, January 8, 2024

a very London fall

There are many tiny joys that we miss in Hawai'i, in the season of fall. The cool weather, the ability to wear multiple layers without looking (or feeling) crazy, escaping the cold into warm cafes and bookstores, and most importantly, the beautiful fall colors!

So when I made the decision to move to London for my Sophomore year, I expected to arrive in chilly English late-September... I couldn't be more wrong. 

The air was humid and hot, at least hotter than I expected with my sweatshirt and jean jacket combo. 
I kid you not, if you do come to London around September time do not think it will be cool and breezy those first couple of weeks, for the most part, it was so similar to the weather patterns on the island! 





For a little preview, this is what my room looked like when I first got to school! There is no AC and, as far as I know, that's how it's like for most places :( 

The school did provide fans which was nice but it was definitely working overtime through all hours of the day. 

Otherwise, you keep your windows open and cross your fingers that you don't get ladybug-infested curtains (I am not kidding they're cute until you realize you have an army of them quite literally over your head)






Apart from those first few adrenaline-packed weeks, the weather began to cool down and I could finally start enjoying the magic of fall in London!

If you are even the slightest bit interested in London, you will know some of the most iconic sights but also the coolest experiences that you can have while walking around! Here are a few of my favorites that I got to do during my first semester :)

1. Walking through the Parks 


        
One thing that I do like about this city is how walkable it is. Especially if you are someone who likes your alone time or enjoys being in nature many parks hidden within the busy streets will transport you to a calmer environment. 

The picture on the right and the one below are some of my adventures through Regents Park. The park itself is huge and spans over 400 acres, it is home to the London Zoo and Queen Mary's Garden. 

There are soo many beautiful spots in this park perfect for a quiet time!


     




I explored this park a lot within my first month there and was able to see a good amount of it but it can be a bit overwhelming and easily confusing, especially on your own. 

Google Maps is pretty reliable to help you find your way back but Citymapper is a good alternative too!
october 29

2. Markets!!!  

One of my favorite things to do...throughout the city you can find different markets that appeal to various crowds. 

On the right, is when I visited Borough Market famous for the enormous amount of food options like the chocolate-covered strawberries (they were soo good). 

So bright and busy even though we went really late in the day but soo fun. 

Highly recommend, when you go with friends have everyone get a little something and make a makeshift charcuterie board after. My friends and I did it, it was so good and so cheap, 100% better than dining hall food lol!


 3. Cafes/Cafe hopping

1000% recommend saving a bunch of different cafes to try out while your abroad around your area. This cafe is in Camden and was so close to my school!

SO cute and cozy we were like the only customers left before it closed, we spent like two hours there just studying and before we left the guy working gave us free pastries!!! 

It was such a chill and relaxing time but there are so many hole-in-the-wall places like this one that are perfect for studying or catching up with friends :)

Here is a list of some good study spots!


4. Sightseeing

Obviously, when you're so close to these iconic and historical places you're going to want to at least stop by.

 In the beginning, that is all I did. Visiting the palace and Big Ben and some beautiful sites like Primrose Hill (Pictured Below). 

Seeing some of these places was actually so surreal, as it was something that I had dreamed about for so long. Even writing this I can't believe that I have seen these sites...I've visited benny so many times now throughout my time abroad and it still never gets old seeing that view. 



 Fall in London has been an experience of a lifetime! There are so many incredible things that you can do throughout the season. It is bustling with life and cultures and has so many opportunities that you should take advantage of!  

If you have any questions about my life here so far, whether it be school or recommendations, please feel free to reach out to me on my ig/ @whenhopemeetsworld 

thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment