Thursday, June 22, 2017

Struggle

     Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel. Having an accent inspires me to speak. Sometimes your disadvantages are your most striking assets and having or knowing less than does not make you that. Being abroad means being different. Because no matter how much you practice, how many bus lines you know or how much black you wear, you will never be native. In my ever-educated opinion, I believe that people were never supposed to be bound to nationality or border. Heritage is sacred but this land was not born to be claimed. And as far as second-class standing, I will always prefer to be the dumbest kid in a challenging class then the smartest in one where effort is optional. So be the foreigner. Struggle through ordering a meal and look different than literally everyone on the street, because little by little insecurity will fade and your new favorite phrase will be, I'm not from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment