Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Countdown to Departure


The best analogy regarding travel I was pondering is if you stay somewhere for an extended period of time, one will in a sense “grow roots” where they become more attached as time progresses.

I just realized not too long ago that I have been to enough places to be considered a traveler (aka a person who regularly travels). Now, that doesn’t make me an avid traveler. Even so, I’ve been to enough places and have traveled more than enough times to have that title.  I started to get that feeling as my time in Australia was drawing to an end. I would have to say that I had that feeling for the past few weeks prior to departing; missing home. Not only was I missing home but I was also going to miss being here or rather I miss some things about being there. So, as I was typing this, I was a bit emotional.

They say “home is where the heart is”. Somehow I can relate even not having any special person to go back to. In fact, if anything my heart could be split between two places. However, even not considering a romantic relationship, I still have most of my friends back here in Hawaii as well as the rest of the United States. And so, as my time in Australia drew to a close, I was compelled to contact those friends of mine to notify them of my arrival. From there, I’m thinking to myself that things will never be the same again. I have come to realize that I have some work ahead of me. The time of relaxation (or more time) is over for now, and thus I have returned to the grind I once worked prior to leaving here.

The night before leaving, I was nearly all packed up everything. I had already anticipated having very little sleep only mere hours before my long day began. I said my “good-byes” and “farewells” for now. My roommates even hosted a farewell dinner. For that I was very grateful. They’ve been some of the best hosts and housemates I’ve lived with. I got to see my lady friend as well one last time. She stopped by to pick up some of the things I was giving away. We talked for a bit before seeing each other off one last time for a while. A while may be a while. Even so, I’ve been aiming to keep in touch with her, other friends I’ve made, and come back to visit within the next two years. This is especially true for my lady friend.

While it’s not possible to maintain a proper relationship, we planned to keep in touch and take care of what we each need to take care of in our own lives to even consider anything more if that’s “in the cards”. Sure, I like her but does she feel the same way? I have a feeling she does but I could always be wrong. Regardless, there’s some sort of connection there, and I just believe I must do my part at the very least. Perhaps one day, something great will come of it. I realize she just can’t allow herself to, and that’s fine. Nor can I for that matter. However, I have to be strong just like her and maintain our friendship through both time and distance with the possibility of something more.  That’s the least I can look forward to for now.


It’s been nearly a month and a half since I started writing this. For the most part, much of my life that was has returned to normal. However, I’m already planning on going back sometime next year. In what capacity? That’s still in the works, but the only thing I know for sure is that a trip is in the cards. And so, I’ve made sure to inform my mates currently there. Now, I have something else to look forward to, and while there’s still much time and planning between the time I’m writing this and the time I return, perhaps it will come faster than I expect. If there’s anything I have learned is that much can happen in a year’s time and plans could always change. And so, until my next countdown to departure begins, I’ll continue to plan for my next journey as well as keep the newly made connection with my friends and new family alike alive.

25 November 2015 - 19 January 2016
Michaux

No comments:

Post a Comment