Monday, August 24, 2015

What's Most Important in Life: Food and Barbells

I'll make general post later, but for now, I'd like to talk about how to make all kinds of gains (gainzZz) in a country that's so opposed to it. If you're a foodie, you'll at least enjoy the pictures. If you're into barbell weightlifting and are fine with gaining weight, I think you'll enjoy it even more.

Squat Racks: They Do Exist!

Barbell weightlifting is even more niche in South Korea than it is in the U.S. partly people here prioritize being skinny and losing weight over becoming stronger. It makes me feel left out over here. You'll typically find one squat rack in the entire gym, and it may or may not have adjustable bar holders/catches. The fortunate thing is that because Korean don't often use barbells, that one squat isn't often in use. If you're a foreigner, they won't often talk to you, but you'll see them admiring ('mirin) the gains!

So what do you do after you're tired from a hard workout, and the employee is pissed off at you because a 185 kg deadlift is going to make noise no matter how slowly you put it down? Naturally, you stuff your face!




There are variations of bibimbap (비빔밥) and they range from around 4500-6000 won. If you eat at a restaurant, you'll get free sides (반찬) so be sure to abuse that. Well, maybe not at amusement park. They just want to rip you off there. If the restaurant has a version of bibimbap (such as bulbaekbibim: 불백비빔) that has extra meat on it, naturally go for that.


Korean BBQ is a favorite of mine, and it's easy macros if you get a buffet! Even the people who normally don't like to take pictures of food end up doing so when there's a big group and tons of BBQ cooking at the same time. If you don't eat meat, well...I'm sorry...

If you want some diabetes, there are dessert calzones that they make in the foreigner district of Itaewon (이태원). Honey toast and bingsu (빙수) are more common, though.

Actually, this post was delayed for a long time. I thought about finishing it earlier, but I suddenly became busy towards the end of my program. There are so many foods that I want to upload and share, but I don't really have much time to go through all of the pictures I took. At any rate, I hope this was at least pleasing for your eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment