Monday, February 4, 2019

6 months of Australia

Elizabeth Jackson

January 06, 2019

6 months of Australia

While studying abroad in Australia I fully took advantage of experiencing as much of it as I could by traveling all over and I believe that that was what made my study abroad experience so amazing. When I landed in Australia I went and stayed with my best friend who is from Byron Bay and I spent two weeks with her and her family. It was the most amazing time and I was able to spend Australia Day with them which is a big day for Australians. Spending the day in a very Australian manner was an amazing way to spend the holiday and get to know the culture of Australia. I was also able to spend my birthday with them and it was easily one of the best birthdays I have ever had. If possible, meeting up with friends or family in your study abroad country is a must do as it brings you comfort to know you have support in a foreign country. After I spent my birthday in Byron Bay my sister flew to meet me on the Gold Coast and we roadtripped all the way from Byron to Melbourne which is a huge trip. Road tripping is something I would highly recommend as it is fairly cheap to hire cars but an amazing way to be able to see so much of your country. We camped along the way (also highly recommend) and spent time in the Australian national parks that are all along the coast. Needless to say it was amazing and an experience to remember.

I also flew to Tasmania which is a more obscure part of Australia and less traveled but was the most beautiful place I have ever been. I came prepared to do a lot of hiking and brought the proper gear for it which I would recommend to anyone who enjoys doing outdoor activities. Buying gear overseas is generally a lot more complicated and expensive because the high charge is for the convenience of it. My attitude while traveling was one that was very open; this is important in order to get to know the people of the country. Most people are very friendly if you put out the same attitude and that was something that made my traveling experience amazing. Again, renting a car is the cheapest way to see the most in my opinion and spending time on the road allowed me a lot of time to myself that I will cherish forever. Having a plan is also an integral part of seeing the most as seeing what you want to see in each area cannot always be achieved if you are not efficient with your time.

In addition, towards the end of the semester I flew to Cairns to dive the Great Barrier Reef and that was also an experience I will never forget. Australia is known for the Great Barrier Reef and being able to experience that was incredible. I would definitely recommend exploring the parts of your study abroad country that it is famous for because while it may be cliche it is still attracting attention for a reason. I also flew to Malaysia for a few weeks during our mid semester break and had an amazing time there, which I thought was amazing because normally I am not in the same part of the world and felt it was smart to take advantage of that while I was there. I would recommend visiting areas all around the country you are studying in and not just the country itself as it is the best way to take advantage of your surroundings.


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome information that you provide us.
    I am very thankful to you for sharing this information with us.
    I am glad for new students.
    student accommodation dwell village melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very informative, meaningful and to the point.
    Being a traveller blogger i find you have a very good writing sense due to which you explain details about many destination perfectly, Your blog is like books of Lonely planet for various travel destination.
    If someone required destination information your blog is enough instead of searching anywhere.
    Keep it up your meaningful blog writing.
    radical edward square galway

    ReplyDelete