Monday, September 18, 2017

6 weeks in Madagascar



Hi everyone.  I go study abroad at Madagascar for 6 weeks. It is adventure and amazing time of my life.  Our academic director is Dr. Nat.  He calls him as Dadabe (grandpa in Malagasy).  Here is my 6 weeks journals. 


Week 1: The program schedule for the first week is much better than what I expected.  The resort where we stay is very peaceful. 
 It gives us such a warm welcoming feeling, the same as we feel from Dr. Nate and the SIT team.  I like that the program gives us time to slowly adjust to the Madagascar time zone, weather, and new lifestyle.  The surprising part of the first week is how quickly students in the program become friends.  I think it is because we shared the same situation about being bound together in a new place.  The materials of the program are well structured to introduce us to the program.  We had an introduction to the traditional medicine and health care systems in our Madagascar lecture.  We also started our Malagasy language class.  I feel we learned so much already in the first week. 
  Dr. Nat also took us to visit and interview traditional healers.  Although I like to be busy, I like that Dr. Nat give us the day off on Saturday.  Some students took this chance to visit the city.  I preferred to have a day off to take it easy and study.  I was worried about my English grammar.  However, Dr. Nat tells us “Being you, then you will be the best of you.  If you are trying to be as somebody else, you always can be the second of them.”  My English grammar may be not the best but I will try to be the best I can be with my writing.

Week 2: We moved to stay with our host family which turned out to be the most challenging thing for me.  I thought I am very easy going and would not have any problem with new people.  Surprisingly, I have a challenging time to adjust myself to my new family for a while.  However, the lovely words of Dr. Nat as Hakuna matata” – no worry, it is ok- keeps me positive even with all the challenges.  The class schedule is full of new knowledge and interesting material.  In addition, we have outside activities that include visiting historical sites and hospitals. 

 We have learned a history of Madagascar and Traditional healers.  There are many types of healers, not just for medicine.  We also have a fantastic opportunity to conduct interviews about the traditional medicine and health care system in Madagascar with the director of the public hospital and another physician.

The surprising part of visiting the public hospital is that the hospital could not give the medicine to a patient until they have agreement of payment.  If patients do not have money to pay, they get sent to another hospital or home.  This is so sad for me.  We also visit the private clinic that is founded by the church.  It makes me realize how important this service is to the healthcare for poor people.  This private clinic offers a service with a low cost because the clinic is founded by the church.
The program provides us transport from our houses to school, a tasty tea break, and delicious lunch.  While I enjoy learning such wonderful material, all students seem to enjoy visiting La City with free Wi-Fi too. On Saturday, we have a family picnic at the park.  It becomes such a fun day for me and everyone.  I feel very happy and relaxed from all the challenges that I have – the difficulty of my English ability and adjusting to homestay.  I have a chance to interact with Malagasy students who join the picnic with us as well.  We have lunch, play games, and dance together.  It is one of my favorite times of the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment