Friday, August 30, 2024

Prepare for a Summer in Korea

Hi Sharks, my name is Tiffany and I studied abroad in Seoul, South Korea this past summer! My program was a one-month-long International Summer Program with Konkuk University. Here are my experiences and tips for preparing and packing for a month in Korea.

Entry requirements: I did not have to apply for a Visa or a K-ETA since it was only a month-long program; staying longer than 90 days required those mentioned. Things change and sometimes requirements are lifted but please do your due diligence and research any entry requirements. 

Important things to pack: First, I brought my passport and an additional form of government-issued identification such as my driver’s license. My passport was on me everywhere I went since certain places were tax-free. Next, I had physical copies of important documents such as my health insurance and official documents from my host university to show proof I was a part of the program. Although these documents can be accessed electronically, I printed out paper copies just in case. Also, it is required to get international health insurance if your current plan does not cover international. Especially at the airport, I kept these documents readily accessible just in case I ran into any trouble (I had no problems at the airport). Honestly, I think having your passport and one more form of ID is all you really need, the extra documents I brought were because of anxiety. Lastly, payment options. I had credit cards and both US cash and Korean won on me. Exchange rates are better there so I recommend doing it over there. There are even better rates in Seoul so try to find places besides the airport but even the airport is not that bad. Korea is card-friendly but some places only take won like your T-Money card. Also, from what I remember Visa, Mastercard, and Discover are accepted, just remember there might be foreign transaction fees. If you go to Costco, it is only Visa or won. 

Other things to pack: The month I went was July and it was during their monsoon season; therefore, it was hot, humid, and rainy. So pack according to that 🙂.

Phone Data/Calling: There are plenty of options when it comes to your phone. Your phone carrier will have international plans but it will likely cost a lot. Other options include phone rentals, eSIM/SIM cards, and pocket wifi, and fortunately, these all can be purchased at the airport. If you search around, some websites offer discounts and pick-up at the airport for convenience. I think eSIMs are most convenient but your phone has to be unlocked for it to work. There will be certain conditions depending on your plan; for examples, a plan may or may not give you a Korean phone number, another may allow free incoming calls but charge for outgoing calls, or a certain amount of messages per month will be permitted and any extra will be charged, so check and carefully pick your plan according to what you think you need. If you want to call home back in the US, I suggest third-party apps such as Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, or even Instagram for contact because those are free. *Having a Korean phone number depends on you. It was not necessary for my situation but I assume for a full semester stay, having one would be helpful.* Korea usually has wifi everywhere like in shops, restaurants, and bus/train stations, but it is not strong so I would not chance it and rely on public wifi. 

Transportation: Plan on getting a T-Money card, their version of our Holo card. You will be walking and using public transportation a lot so prepare with cushioned shoes and Korean won. A T-Money card can be purchased in most convenient stores and you refill them with won only, there or at the stations.


No comments:

Post a Comment