Thursday, June 27, 2024

Moving to Australia for the Spring Semester


Hi everyone, 

I'm Kayla Fraser, and I'm heading into my senior year at HPU. Recently, I wrapped up an incredible semester abroad in Gold Coast, Australia at Griffith University. From Navigating visas to finding perfect housing and exploring the country, I learned a lot that I want to share to make your study abroad journey smoother. 



Student Visa : Getting your student visa sorted is crucial. You can access the application through the HPU study abroad website once you select your program. I started mine in early November and took about a week to fill out thoroughly. It is roughly 30 pages but if you wanted to complete it in a day you could, it automatically saves your progress so you don't rush. Remember, accuracy matters, double-check everything before submitting to avoid delays. I ended up getting mine approved right away however, I know it's different for everyone so give yourself time to complete it. 

Housing : For housing, Griffith University offers on-campus options at Griffith Village, but it's competitive and mainly for freshmen. Instead, I found SIA Housing (Semester in Australia) in Surfers Paradise, just a 30-minute tram ride from campus. Surfers Century apartments, where I stayed, are a block from the beach and fully furnished which is perfect for students only studying for a semester. It's a great option for meeting other international students and enjoying the beach lifestyle. SIA also offers organized trips before school starts in Sydney and Cairns which is a great way to meet people in your housing program. I will share about this experience in my next blog!

Living in Surfers Paradise was a highlight for me; close to both campus and the vibrant nightlife. Whether you choose Griffith Village or SIA Housing, both offer unique experiences; it depends on what you prioritize during your stay. 





Packing : Learn from my mistake and don't overpack! Stick to the essentials like adapters for Australian outlets (easily found on Amazon or a local stores), a towel, and versatile clothing suitable for changing seasons. Sunscreen is a must, as the UV is intense. Pack light with sandals, runners, a couple comfy shoes, and outfits. 




Traveling : I flew Hawaiian Airlines from Hawaii, which was straightforward and convenient. Only takes about 10 hours and they provide food as well as screen entertainment. Upon landing in Sydney, a quick passport check and photo were all that was needed. It's worth preparing for the long flight with entertainment and essentials like chargers and your passport. 



No comments:

Post a Comment