Wednesday, August 2, 2023

A note from June, in Innsbruck et al.

 A note from June.. 

A month in Innsbruck, Austria.  And to say the experience is not what I pictured would be an understatement.  

Some contextual details for my experience are: I didn't know a soul coming here; I'm only taking 1 course which is entirely online; and, I am working my full-time job (remotely) from Innsbruck.  

Some people I've met: my sweet motherly flatmate Rita, a 40-year-old accountant from Germany (found her on Facebook); my other flatmate that only speaks German and stays cooped up in his room; Kyra and Valentina, best friends from Orlando who joined the Erasmus (study abroad) program with me but take in-person classes; Hannah and Charlotte, both in our program and came from England and love some fun; their friend Lara who came to visit; Sarah, she's a spunky Canadian; Julie, from Germany, our dedicated translator, hiker, and introvert; Savannah, also from Orlando, a gentle sweet friend; Lalo and Marco are from Mexico; and Albert, an aspiring photographer from South Africa.  

Some adventures we've had: the Swarvoski museum in Wattens (especially the "no age limit" four-story jungle gym); Hungerberg to Seegrube hike (which we pursued under the impression it would be a brief and easy 1.5-hour trek, that turned into a 4 hour up, brutal but rewarding experience we all were ill-equipped to handle); the disastrous "club" scene where we learned how 9 women should stand up and defend one another in a sea of disrespectful men (where I learned upon returning to the US I broke my foot); the European League Football Game (American football style) to watch the Raiders Tirol defeat Barcelona); the campus spot that seems to be the only place we can find to meet up and talk (its called Sixty Twenty and for some reason, no matter how respectful we can be, they do not seem to like us); the courtyard where we line danced, did the worm, and told jokes at midnight; the gelato place in the square which sells a scoop for 1.5 euros; the carnival that followed the football game (but none of us wanted to spend the money on the activities).  I took weekend trips; first to Zürich, Switzerland where I read 2 books on my kindle in 2 days while walking around the lake and old town (centering and peaceful... I learned how much I enjoyed not weighing myself down with the pressure of seeing and doing everything, but just being, and being at peace); fulfilled a full-circle nostalgic moment of having Swiss Fondue one night; and, making plans for my adventures moving forward. And second to Munich, Germany, where I finally found a gluten-free bratwurst, sat in the English Gardens to read, watched surfing in a river, listened to a violinist in a park, and continued to walk everywhere I went. 

Locations I added before and after June: London, Paris, Venice, Lake Como, Genoa, Cinque Terre, Portofino, Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Amsterdam, Zaanse Schans, Purmerend, and Volendam. 

But what I want to leave you with from this note... Don't put your dreams or adventures on an indefinite hold because you don't have the family, friend(s), or a partner to go with you.  You can do the job, save the pennies, make the smart and safe choices, but still see the world and do the big things, making friends along the way!

I'm proud of you, and I'm proud of me too, xx. 

No comments:

Post a Comment