Saturday, July 15, 2023

A Final Reflection Before Returning Home

It has been a while since my last journal, but so much has happened since then and it was about time I posted my final blog post. For starters, as in the writing of this blog this is my final week in Japan. To say that the phrase "time flies" is true would be a large understatement. Somehow it feels like I have a lot of time left before returning home and not enough time simultaneously. 

Cherry Blossoms at
the Park
Here are few updates about the semester. There were moments during the middle of the term where it felt as though I had lumped myself into a cycle. I would wake up to go to class, attend all of my lessons for the day, come back to the dorm, do homework, and then get ready for bed. See in the beginning of the semester the workload was quite light and there was not much to worry about in terms of homework. It probably was because they want to ease the students into the change in environment before piling on the assignments. 

But as the semester began to continue forward more and more homework began to pile on top of one another. Since I came to Japan to study, I pressured myself into solely focusing on homework and projects to not fall behind. I thought I would be content with this since it was my decision to study in Japan. 
Lake at the Park Near the Dorms

Yet what I did not realize is what I was doing to myself was harmful to my mental health. Fortunately, with the support system that I have both here in Japan and back home I was able to quickly realize what I was doing to myself. One night when I called my mother she told me that I should relax and enjoy my time in Japan. 

While yes it is important to keep on top of the workload in school, I should not forget to take a break for myself every so often. She then suggested I try to do things for my own enjoyment and not worry so much with school. 

With that piece of advice I started to do things to help balance out the stress and break out of the routine that I developed. Some of the small things I began doing was talking walks around the park that is near the dorm, going with friends to fun little excursions together, and taking part in school activities. One of which was an excursion to Nara and Osaka. Out of all the excursions I went to with the school

Osaka
I think this trip was the one I had the most fun on. A few friends and I were able to explore temples, eat amazing food, and learn more about Japanese culture. For example, we took a class on woodblock printing and, while admittedly harder then it looks in person, was insightful to how ancient artist would painstakingly work on the beautiful artwork that we see in museums to this day. As for the food I mentioned earlier it was delicious. One of the items I had eaten was grilled eel and although it looked scary at first when I took a bite of it the amount of flavor that was there was unbelievable. Also the owner of the cart was really nice and was trying his best to converse with me and my group of friends. 

Todaiji Temple
At first, he tried to speak to us in Japanese, but once one of us
explained that we do not understand Japanese all that well he immediately switched to English. Although he kept apologizing for his lack of English we all told him that we appreciated his efforts for talking to us. Afterwards, he recommended us other vendors and places to visit while we were in Osaka for the brief period. 

Volunteering Opportunity
Another experience I was able to have while in Japan was interacting with some local Japanese children. This semester I was in a class about learning Japanese culture through picture books. My teacher for the course also volunteers with the local library near the university and one of the volunteering opportunities was to read English books to Japanese children. So she asked for students to volunteer with the event and I decided this would be a great chance for me to interact with some of the local people in the community. 

Needless to say, the event went well. There was a mini origami lesson for the children, singing nursery rhymes with them, and of course, reading the English translation of beloved Japanese picture books. Although there were a little hiccups along the way (for example, on this day it was quite raining), I was never the more grateful to my teacher for allowing me to join in and help with the event. 

Outside of school I was fortunate enough to be able to plan a solo trip to Kyoto for my birthday. There I explored a bamboo grove, the local aquarium, eat in the market, and much more. Although I am not much of a big spender, I was encouraged by my mom to use my birthday as a time to step away from the workload for the weekend and have fun. So I did and, in my own opinion, feel as though this is one of my favorite birthday memories for years to come. 

All in all I would never had experience all of what I had done had I not taken a break from the school work. Now I am in no way, shape or form advising to not do work while studying abroad. What I am advising is to allow for periods of time to not think about work and to enjoy the scenery. It does not have to be as big as planning a trip to Kyoto or going on excursions every week that is planned by the school. The breaks can be as simple as going to the local park to watch ducks swimming in the lake or taking pictures of the local flora and fauna. Whatever makes the stress easier to handle should be done. Otherwise it could leave to a severe case of burnout. 

Before I conclude this journal here are a few of my favorite places that I recommend for people to visit:
  1. Nagoya Castle
    • Nagoya Castle is a beautiful sight to see in person. Along the way there is a lot of history and more to discover. There is a lot of walking so do bring a bottle of water if planning to visit the site. Although I may be recommending Nagoya Castle, Japan has other castles in the different cities that people can enjoy for the historical background. 
      Nagoya Castle
  2. Arashiyama Bamboo Grove 
    • If wanting a tranquil get away from the busy everyday like then this bamboo grove in Kyoto is somewhere I would suggest visiting. The bamboos are tall and surrounds the people as they walk through and along the way there are shrines and other places to visit within. I do recommend going in the early mornings or the late afternoons if one wants to avoid large crowds of people. Arashiyama Bamboo Grove does see a lot of tourists and locals going to take photographs. 
      Arashiyama Bamboo Grove

  3. Kyoto Aquarium 
    • Now there are other aquariums that are in Japan. For example there is the Port of Nagoya aquarium. However, the one that I went to was the one in Kyoto and I thought it was absolutely breathtaking. Especially with how large the tanks were, the diverse animals in the museums, and the vast amount of exhibits to behold while in the aquarium. Definitely a place where I would visit again and would recommend to a friend. 
      Viewing Tank within Kyoto Aquarium

  4. Tokugawa Art Museum 
    • The art contained in this museum puts any of the visitors into the mind of the past. Containing pieces from the Tokugawa family and others who have donated to the museum it tells a story of each owner of the item. Though no photography is allowed, it is still worthwhile. Side note: if attending NUFS at the time of visiting Tokugawa Art Museum then admission is free for students. All that is required to take advantage of this deal is to bring the student ID to the front door and show it to the ticket collector. At least that is what I experienced it may change, but that is how I know it is done currently. 
      Tokugawa Art Museum

  5. Nagoya Science Museum
    • For those wanting to see a museum with a lot of interactive components that is both educational and fun then the science museum is the place to be. It has a lot of fun interactive exhibits that is connected to the theme of each floor. In addition there is a beautiful planetarium inside. However, avoid going here on holidays and weekends since there will be a lot of families visiting the establishment. Additionally all the exhibits are in Japanese with no English translations so do keep that in mind. 
      Exhibit within the Science Museum

  6. Kuromon Ichiba Market
    • If anyone finds themselves in Osaka then Kuromon Ichiba Market should be one the list of places to visit. There are a lot of food stalls and shops to visit. And all of the food is delicious from the takoyaki, fried crab legs, candied strawberries, and so much more. Although again plan accordingly if large crowds are not ideal. 
      Kuromon Ichiba Market
Hopefully there was something that anyone who comes across this blog post was able to take with them for the next time they travel or study abroad. Thank you for reading about the last leg of my journey through Japan and I hope whoever reads this has enjoyed the contents within the blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment