Friday, June 3, 2022

Fish and Chips

SOCI 345 Global Cuisine and Food Culture in Britain: Fish ‘n Chips


Fish and chips have taken England by a storm, with restaurants once peaking at the amount of 100,000. Ever since they were introduced by a young Ashkenazi immigrant Joseph Malin, there has been no end in sight for the meal’s popularity. At Cittie of Yorke, I had to try for myself. I had it with a pale ale and mashed peas on the side. The crunchy fish goes so well with the hearty chips. I eat fish all the time in Hawai’i, so this was not a strange concept to me. 


I imagine that young Malin must have been frying up the fish and potatoes for his friends and it was so good that it got popular. I don’t think there was more of a business plan to it. It’s just one of those combinations that makes you say, yeah that makes sense. In England, people eat them with malt vinegar. They must love salt and vinegar chips. At the pub I was in, no one else ordered the fish and chips, so I shared a lot of my chips. Personally, the fish and chips are a huge favorite of mine, though I’m not a fan of having them with mashed peas as well. It was an amazing food to have with a drink.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this good blog,Keep it up. we also provide top-class apartments, rooms around the top cities in Spain, For more information you can visit our website.
    Student Accommodation Leicester

    ReplyDelete